i adapted the recipe from this site here with the modifications from me
100g bread flour
50g cake flour
3g active dry yeast
1/4 teaspoon salt
60 ml milk
30g caster sugar
1 yolk egg, beaten,add 1 tablespoon milk (for glazing)
cocochips and cheddar cheese for filling and toping
- Mix all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Add in milk, egg and butter. Mix into a dough.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured work surface. Knead the dough until the gluten is fully developed (see tip below) and the dough is elastic, smooth and non-sticky. It will take about 25 mins to knead the dough by hand. Initially the dough will stick on to the work surface. Do not be tempted to add more flour or even give up kneading! After continuous kneading, the dough will no longer stick to the work surface.
- Place the dough in the mixing bowl and cover with a damp towel or cling wrap to seal in the moisture. Allow the dough to ferment(or proof) until double in bulk. This will take about 1 hr. To test whether the dough has been fully proofed, press a finger into the dough and withdraw quickly. It should leave a deep impression and spring back very slowly. For an insufficiently proofed dough, the impression will spring back instantly.
- Take out the dough and punch out the gas produced. Let the dough rest for about 15 minutes. Cover with a damp towel or cling wrap.
- Divide the dough into 30g portions. Shape and add fillings as desired. put the dough in a baking dish (I use a muffin pan: D)Let the dough proof for the second time for about 30-45mins. Cover with a damp towel or cling wrap.
- Brush the top with egg wash. Add cocochips on the top of the buns, as desired.
- Bake for about 15 minutes in a preheated oven at 180 degC. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
To check whether the dough is fully developed, take a small piece of the dough and stretch it with your fingers. If it can be stretched into a thin layer without tearing easily, the dough is fully developed.